Why CodeArt library has been created in all my webapp websites ?

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Thanks for your solution. It ensures more flexibility in list rights management. I appreciate it very much.
By the way, I installed your solution in my Sharepoint 2010 (with april 2013 cumulative update) and it creates the library __CodeArt_ListPermissionExtension in all my existing websites, in all my site collections in the webapp where solution was deployed even if no codeart feature has been activated. For me it is really undesirable because I don't want to use this solution in all my websites. As a side effect I have question from users about that strange library that they don't know for what it is intended to be used.

Are you aware of this behavior?
Do you have any solution for helping me ?

Thanks
Aug 23, 2013 at 6:17 AM
this is a issue.
I will resolve it in next release. thanks for feedback.
Aug 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Edited Aug 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM
Thanks for your quick reply.

Have you already scheduled the next release ?

My last understanding of your solution:
When you deploy the solution it creates the if there is at least one list on existing websites.
On websites created after the solution deployment, when you create a list, it creates the codeart list.

I went a little bite through your code, but I haven't seen anything that is triggered when a list is created....

In any case do you have a solution to bypass the creation of this list on site where the feature has not been activated ?

Thanks
Sep 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM
hi.
please try the new version:
https://sppex.codeplex.com/releases/view/111579
Oct 8, 2013 at 9:46 PM
jianyi wrote:
hi.
please try the new version:
https://sppex.codeplex.com/releases/view/111579
This problem still exists in the newer version Release 1.52 . I installed and deployed it, but I am still getting "__CodeArt_ListPermissionExtension " under the document library of the site.

it shows up like this:

__CodeArt_ListPermissionExtension List for config , never delete this list.

This will create confusion for the end user and I am wondering if this can be hidden? What if the end user deletes this?? will it break this webpart and none of the permissions will then work?
Oct 9, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Edited Oct 9, 2013 at 2:14 AM
did you test in a new site? for old site, if the __CodeArt_ListPermissionExtension List has been created, you have to delete it manually.
also you can hide this list by some tools for example: SharePoint Manager 2010, just change the Hidden property of list.

yes, the end user has the permissoin can delete this list. then the fields permission setting is gone.
for this issue, you can change this list's permission, for example: edit permission for administrator role and readonly permission for other user.
Oct 9, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Stop me if I am wrong:

I understand that version before 1.52 creates library __CodeArt_ListPermissionExtension only after accessing to a list (even if the feature was not activated). The feature activation just add the link in the "list settings" for setting up the fine access, nothing else. The engine of the solution work without feature activation.

In the 1.52, the library is created only if the feature is activated. But if you upgrade to 1.52, it will not remove useless library, it will just avoid library __CodeArt_ListPermissionExtension creation on new site where the feature is not activated.

If you don't want noisy libraries, you have to remove them. For my part I wrote a program for removing all empty library __CodeArt_ListPermissionExtension in all web site in all web application but you can also do it manually.

For your list deletion issue, you can programmatically modify the list setting and make it hidden and non-deletable then the solution still works, people can neither see the library nor delete it. I prefer this solution because you don't have to break the inheritance of the list ;)
Oct 9, 2013 at 2:22 PM
jianyi wrote:
did you test in a new site? for old site, if the __CodeArt_ListPermissionExtension List has been created, you have to delete it manually.
also you can hide this list by some tools for example: SharePoint Manager 2010, just change the Hidden property of list.

yes, the end user has the permissoin can delete this list. then the fields permission setting is gone.
for this issue, you can change this list's permission, for example: edit permission for administrator role and readonly permission for other user.
Hi,

Thanks for your prompt response. It creates this "__CodeArt_ListPermissionExtension List " only when the feature is activated and some permission is setup on the site. Overall, its a great tool and I will be using it.

I am using SharePoint 2010. Will this be supported for sharepoint 2013?
Oct 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM
Edited Oct 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM
@thoqbk
for SP2013, because sharepoint 2013 use different way to render the form(clientRending mode). in this mode , the sppex solution will not work.
but I think if you change the rending mode of list form to old server rending mode(modify the listFormwebpart's property), this solution can work. but I never test it.
Oct 9, 2013 at 3:53 PM
Edited Oct 9, 2013 at 3:54 PM
@fourniera : you are right.
Jan 21, 2014 at 1:41 PM
jianyi wrote:
@thoqbk
for SP2013, because sharepoint 2013 use different way to render the form(clientRending mode). in this mode , the sppex solution will not work.
but I think if you change the rending mode of list form to old server rending mode(modify the listFormwebpart's property), this solution can work. but I never test it.
Hi jianyi!

First thank You for great tool, I'm using it on few sites and it's great :)

Second - I can try to convert Your solution to 2013, but I need Your 2010 source code(in Source code section there I see 12 hive and "wss 3.0-style" things). Can You update this source code or easily send me zipped sources to rockietm{@}gmail.com.

I have 2013 test environment and can test Your guess and ping You back:
change the rending mode of list form to old server rending mode(modify the listFormwebpart's property), this solution can work. but I never test it.
Best regards,
Gennady
Jan 22, 2014 at 2:09 AM
Hi Rockie:
do you test the currently released wsp in Sp2013?
I have no souce code for sp2013.
if the released wsp can't work in sp2013, you can use the currently source and convert to 2013.

notice: the solution was first created for sp2007 and I use WSPBuilder to build the solution. for 2010 the source code is not changed because they are Compatible for sp2010. so there is no sp2010 project solution.
if you want to convert to sp2013, you have to do some manual job.
Jan 22, 2014 at 7:44 AM
Edited Jan 22, 2014 at 7:47 AM
jianyi wrote:
Hi Rockie:
do you test the currently released wsp in Sp2013?
I have no souce code for sp2013.
if the released wsp can't work in sp2013, you can use the currently source and convert to 2013.

notice: the solution was first created for sp2007 and I use WSPBuilder to build the solution. for 2010 the source code is not changed because they are Compatible for sp2010. so there is no sp2010 project solution.
if you want to convert to sp2013, you have to do some manual job.
Hi jianyi!

Yes I converted to 2013, but there are some differencies like "/layouts/15" instead of "/layouts/" and few other things, so it doesn't work at first try. .
for 2010 the source code is not changed because they are Compatible for sp2010. so there is no sp2010 project solution.
Ok I understand now. I'll try to repack Your solution to 2010 fist, and then convert to 2013(it is not difficult having 2010 project).
I'm not "guru client-side developer", so can I ask You some questions if needed?)
Jan 22, 2014 at 8:57 AM
hi Rockie:

you must do some manual operation:

some tips:

1)make sure that the new project is a shareponit 2013 project.
2)create the mapping folder: Layouts
create a sub folder: codeart
copy or move all aspx file to codeart folder
3)create the mapping folder: ControlTemplates
copy all .ascx to the folder
4)create other mapping folder for other subfolder in 12/

5)delete the 12 folder
6)build and deploy and resolve other error.
Jan 29, 2014 at 4:39 PM
Edited Jan 29, 2014 at 4:43 PM
Hi jianyi!

In 2010 there is a little another structure, there is a solution that contains features:

Your solution contains few app. pages, but what type of features should I add?

CodeArt_ViewPermissionEx is a webpart, and CodeArt_FieldPermissionEx is a custom action or what?

upd. I want to migrate Your project to 2010 first, then it could be simply converted to 2013.
Jan 30, 2014 at 2:00 AM
custom actions.
Feb 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM
jianyi, so I have good news(for me they are very good :)

I repacked Your code to 2010 solution and to 2013, and on 2013 platform it works even without "Server-Render" option.

It still has no effect to "Quick-edit mode"("Datasheet in 2010"), but quick-edit could be simply turned off in "Advanced" List settings.

Excuse me, but I dropped some localization and didn't include ViewPermission feature, becouse I don't use it and had a problem with webpart there. For the rest features work like a charm. I can send You these sources if You need

Thank You for great feature! :)
Feb 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM
Rockie:
prefect!
I had add you to the team member of this project. If you can try to upload the 2013 souce code to a new foder, it will be good.

or please email me the latest code: jianyi0115@163.com